The department of Home Affairs of the Republic of South Africa government requires that a foreign student wishing to study in South Africa needs to apply for a Student Permit by completingForm BI-1738.
Study permits must be applied for at any regional office of the Department of Home Affairs near the educational institution you will be studying at or at the nearest South African embassy, mission or consulate abroad.
Study permits are valid for the duration of the course for which they are issued, alternatively 36 months for school and 24 months for other institutions.
English Access student officers can assist fully enrolled students with the application process.
Please note: no assistance whatsoever will be provided to student who do not intend to study in our institution.
No discussion or correspondence would be entertained if student does not meet English Access requirements.
Study Permit Application Requirements
- Letter From Institution Confirming Acceptance And Duration Of Course
- Proof Of Payment Of Course
- Proof Of Stay in South Africa
- Police Clearance
- Medical Certificate
- Radiological Report
- Marital Status
- Yellow Fever Certificate (where applicable)
- Undertaking From Foreign State If taking Responsibility
- Proof Of Medical Cover In SA ie: Medical Aid
- Proof Of Financial Stay
- Repatriation Deposit
PERMIT VALID FOR :
- HIGHER EDUCATION &TRAINING INSTITUTION ONLY FOR DURATION OF COURSE
- SCHOOLS NOT EXCEEDING 3 YEARS
- MAY CONDUCT PART-TIME WORK NOT EXCEEDING 20 HOURS A WEEK
WAITING PERIOD IS 30 DAYS AS FROM DATE OF SUBMISION AT THE DEPARTMENT OF HOME AFFAIRS